Lamb Chops with Horseradish Crust
You will need:
- 4 lamb chops, 1 leg of lamb or 1 rack of lamb (about 14 bones) trimmed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon Honey Mustard Dressing
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cups dry red Tennessee wine
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped\\
- 3 cups stock
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Purity butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season meat with salt and pepper. Heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium high heat in a very large sauté pan. Add lamb and sear it well for 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
Place remaining olive oil, dressing, garlic, horseradish, thyme and breadcrumbs in a medium bowl and mix well. Using your fingers, press crust mixture onto lamb. Place coated meat in a roasting pan and roast for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing wine, shallots and garlic in a medium saucepan and reduce over high heat until about ¼ cup remains. Add stock and reduce until about ¾ cup liquid remains. Bring sauce to a boil. Put cornstarch in a small bowl and add just enough water to soften. Whisk cornstarch into boiling sauce. Add butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove lamb from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve warm with wine sauce spooned on bottom of plate, then top with lamb.
Yield: 6 servings
Pair with Norton from Monteagle Winery