Fresh Corn Cakes
You will need:
- 3/4 cup salsa or chopped, seeded and peeled tomatoes, divided
- 1 cup sweet corn, fresh or frozen
- 1-1/4 cups cornbread mix
- 1 cup sour cream, divided
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- Tops of green onions or green bell pepper strips
In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of salsa and 1/4 cup of corn. Mix well and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine remaining salsa and corn, cornbread mix, 1/2 cup of sour cream and egg. Mix well. Spray a large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat until hot. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls into skillet. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with remaining sour cream and salsa-corn mixture. Sprinkle with pine nuts and green onions.
Yield: 12 servings
Pair with Catawba from Savannah Oaks Winery
Note: corn cakes can be kept warm in a 200-degree oven until serving time.