Ham and Greens Pot Pie with Cornbread Crust
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups chopped cooked ham
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 (16-ounce) package Pictsweet frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen chopped kale, thawed
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 cups plain cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Preheat the oven o 425°F. Lightly grease a 13x9-inch baking dish and set aside.
Place the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the ham and sauté 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle evenly with the flour and cook 1 minute longer, stirring constantly. Gradually add the stock and bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes stirring constantly.
Add the mixed vegetables and kale and return to a boil. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the peas and pepper flakes. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
In a mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center and add the eggs, buttermilk, and butter. Stir until just moistened. Pour evenly over the ham mixture. Bake 23 to 25 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown. Serve warm.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Pair with Seyval Blanc from Goodwater Vineyards