Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream
You will need:
- 2-1/2 cups half-and-half
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
Pour half-and-half into a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. In a bowl, beat egg yolks and half cup of sugar until pale and smooth. Stir one-quarter of hot half-and-half into egg mixture, stirring well. Then pour yolk mixture into warm saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat a spoon, about 3 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature and cover with plastic. Refrigerate at least 4 hours.
An hour before making the ice cream, in a bowl, combine berries with 2 tablespoons of sugar and let sit for one hour. Then mash berries with a fork until they are bite-sized. Stir into chilled custard mixture and pour into ice cream maker. Follow manufacturer’s directions. Freeze at least 2 hours before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Pair with Tiara from Crown Winery
Fresh Strawberry Storage Tips
- Strawberries do not continue to ripen after harvest. Therefore, make sure you pick berries that are completely red.
- Store the berries unwashed in a single layer on a baking sheet and refrigerate.
- Just prior to using, rinse berries under a gentle spray of cool water. Do not cap until after washing.