Classic Pot Roast with Wine
You will need:
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 (3-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup dry Tennessee red wine
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
Preheat the oven to 350º.
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper and add to the hot oil. Cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove to a plate and add the onions. Sauté 8 minutes or until tender.
Return the roast to the pan. Add the red wine, thyme sprigs, chopped garlic, beef broth, and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
Add carrots and potatoes to the pan. Cover and bake 1-1/2 hours or until the vegetables are tender. Remove and discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Shred meat with 2 forks. Serve roast with the vegetables and strained cooking liquid.
Yield: 8-10 servings
Pair with Keg Springs Winery Syrah