New South Macaroni & Cheese
You will need:
- 1 pound package corkscrew pasta
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/4 cup farm-direct or Tennessee processed all-purpose flour
- 1 cup local dairy low fat milk
- 1 (12-ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 oz. fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic or onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/4 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
- 2 tablespoons fresh snipped parsley
Prepare the pasta according to the package directions. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and coat a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
Place 2 tablespoons of the butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. When melted, gradually whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and evaporated milk until smooth and cook 9 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in the Monterey Jack, Cheddar, cream cheese, garlic salt, black pepper and the cayenne. Remove from the heat and continue to stir until the cheeses have melted completely. Add the cooked pasta and stir gently. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. In a small bowl, melt the remaining butter in the microwave on low power for 20 seconds. Add the crushed cereal and parsley, stirring to blend. Sprinkle over the pasta and back for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving warm.
Find Tennessee cheese, flour, dairy products and other ingredients by going to to the Pick Tennessee homepage and clicking on the Taste of Tennessee Online Store.
Yield: 8 servings