Oven-Roasted Squash Napoleons with Roasted Red Pepper Coulis
You will need:
- 1 zucchini, cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 yellow summer squash, cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced chives
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced basil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Basil leaves for garnish
Place zucchini and squash slices in a shallow bowl. Combine next 5 ingredients and toss over slices. Allow to marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Evenly place zucchini and squash slices in a single layer on baking sheet. Drizzle any leftover marinade over slices. Place in oven and roast for 40 minutes, flipping slices halfway through cooking time.
Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. To serve, place two zucchini slices side by side on a serving plate. Top with 2 slices of yellow squash, also arranged side by side. Repeat so that you have two layers of each, then top with a slice of zucchini to connect the two stacks. Puddle the red pepper coulis at the bottom of the plate and garnish with a basil leaf if desired. Serve immediately.
Yield: 2-3 servings
Pair with Chardonel from Crown Winery