You will need:
- 3 medium yellow squash, grated
- 3 medium zucchini, grated
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) package herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 cup panko (fine bread crumbs)
Lightly grease a jelly-roll pan and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the yellow squash, zucchini, eggs, onions, butter, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir in the stuffing mix and mix well. Drop by heaping tablespoons into the panko and roll into balls. Place on the jelly-roll pan and freeze 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake frozen squash balls 30 minutes and serve warm.
Yield: 8 servings
Pair with Vidal Blanc from Red Barn Winery
Note: Excess squash balls can be stored in the freezer up to 6 months.