Tomato Tart with Fresh Basil
You will need:
- 1 recipe Single Pie Pastry
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 Roma tomatoes, cut in small wedges
- 3/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the pastry in the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan. Don’t prick. Partially bake 5 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
Meanwhile, drain the tomatoes on paper towels. Arrange the wedges over the melted cheese.
In a medium bowl, combine the remaining mozzarella with the basil, garlic, mayonnaise, Parmesan, and pepper. Spread evenly over the tomatoes.
Bake 25 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with additional basil leaves and serve warm.
Yield: 8 servings
Pair with Mandolin Blanc from Chestnut Hill Winery